How to Add More Storage Space to a Small Bathroom on a Budget
How to Increase Storage in Your Small Bathroom
The bathroom is one of the most important spaces in any house. From getting ready for work to relaxing after a long day, the bathroom provides function as well as solace for everyone. Nothing is more difficult than trying to get ready efficiently or relax in a crowded, cluttered space. Fortunately, you don’t need to. There are many different ways to add more storage space and improve the organization of your bathroom without making a major project out of it.
Add Storage Space on Your Walls
Your bathroom walls can offer many solutions for extra storage space. With a little bit of creative thinking, you can organize most of your supplies with very little effort. Take a look at these six affordable storage hacks to get the most out of your wall space.
- Hang Floating Baskets: You can either hang baskets directly on the wall or put up a towel rack and fasten the baskets to it. This provides a wonderful area to store toilet paper and towels or you can use them for your makeup and toiletries. For bigger storage, hang wire baskets on the wall as shelves; for smaller items, use the towel rack with a row of small baskets. This way, you can split up your makeup, hair care products, and lotions.
- Install Extra Towel Racks: Extra towel racks are good for more than towels. You can hang extra towel racks on the back of the door and use them for towels or hang cleaning supplies, toiletries, or a laundry bag. Towel bars are so versatile and useful that you can create space by using more of them.
- Place a Shelf Above the Sink: If you hang a shelf right above the sink, you will have an immediate space for all of your makeup, hair products, and other toiletries. You can use cute little baskets or any kind or organizer to split up your toothbrush, your makeup, and whatever else you place on the shelf. If you want a more rustic look, take a divided wooden box and hang it up as a shelf. It will have built-in storage compartments. Another idea is to take an old drawer and hang it on the wall. You will end up with two shelves, which will give you a lot of space to work with.
- Use Suction Cups and Hair Ties in the Shower: If you get hold of some suction cups and hair ties, you can create a floating space for your shower supplies on the wall of your shower. Once you run the hair ties through the suction cups, stick them on the wall. Slip your shampoo, conditioner, soap, shaving cream, and whatever else you need through the hair tie on an angle and it has a place that is convenient for you and out of the way.
- Hang an Extra Shower Rod: If you place a second shower curtain rod by the wall in your shower, you can hang hooks and store all of your bathroom supplies there. Hang a basket for shampoo, conditioner, and soap and hang your loofah and your scrub brushes too. This is a great way to have everything out of the way and yet within reach when you need it.
- Use a Mesh Shoe Organizer in the Shower: Another way to create space is to hang a plastic or mesh shoe organizer on your shower curtain rod. It has built-in pockets for loads of storage options. You can hang it on the inside of the shower curtain for shower supplies or cleaning products or you can hang it on the outside for things that you might need outside of the shower. You can even cut it to meet your exact needs so that it won’t hang all the way down to the floor.
Add Storage with Furniture
There are many different furniture pieces that you can use in your bathroom to add storage and tidy the room up. No matter how small your space is, you can figure out how to add more storage to a small bathroom using furniture. You can throw a curtain around your pedestal sink and place shelving underneath for cleaning supplies or you can add a table in the corner. Here are a few pieces of furniture that will do the job well.
- Place Shelves Over the Toilet: You can find shelving units specifically designed to fit over the toilet. This will provide you with three or four shelves behind the toilet. You can place some decorative baskets on a shelf and fill them with your toiletries or you can use the shelves for towels and toilet paper.
- Use a Corner Shelf: When you are dealing with a small room, there usually isn’t a lot of room to add a cabinet. However, a corner shelf will slip in the corner and provide three shelves for storage. You can place toilet paper there along with baskets, a candle, or even hand towels.
- Put a Skinny Table Over the Toilet Paper: A skinny table — six to eight inches wide — will fit nicely against most walls over the toilet paper holder. This will provide a narrow space where you can place baskets with makeup or any other toiletries that you might need. These tables come in different shapes and sizes so you should be able to find one that is a perfect fit.
- Buy a Bathroom Trolley: Many stores have bathroom trolleys, which are carts designed specifically for bathroom supplies. The wonderful thing about this piece of furniture is that it is on wheels and you can roll it into the closet for storage when you are not using it. The cart has many compartments and shelves inside so that everything can be stored and used from one location and it will be out of sight when you are finished with it.
When you have a small bathroom, you can take action to make it a functional space with a place for everything. Try any of these ideas to get the most out of your space.